UTM parameters are bits of information added at the end of a URL that can help you understand the visitors on your site. The UTM parameters in this example are in bold:
In Bitly, you can add UTM parameters to a link before shortening it. This way, you can generate a short link that's easy to share, while still capturing all of the valuable information that UTM parameters can provide.
To add UTM parameters to a link:
- Log in to Bitly.
- Click Create new in the top-left corner and select Link.
Tip: You can also hit the letter “b” on your keyboard as a shortcut.
- Enter the link you’d like to shorten in the Destination field and, optionally, add a title. A title can make your link easier to find later on.
- Toggle the UTM parameters switch and enter your UTMs in the relevant fields. Not sure what each UTM means? Learn more about UTM parameters.
As you add UTM parameters, the UTM tag preview updates with how these will look at the end of your long link. These UTM parameters will not show up on your short links.
- Customize your short link: Add a custom back-half if desired (you’ll see how many custom back-halves you have left this month). If you have a paid subscription, you can choose to use your custom domain.
- Toggle the QR Code and Link-in-bio options, if desired.
- Select Create in the bottom-right corner. Your link will be created and copied to your clipboard, ready for you to share!
On the Link Details page, you can see that your UTM parameters have been added to your long link: