This feature is available with some paid plans
DNS configuration issues are the most common cause of problems with a custom domain. Short for the Domain Name System, your DNS settings allow your custom domain to point to Bitly.
Issues in your DNS setup can create several problems in your account:
- Your custom domain won't verify
- New links can't be created with your custom domain (either through Bitly or via the API)
- Links using your custom domain won't redirect to the correct destination URL
First check your DNS configuration. If you're having trouble sharing links that use your custom domain or creating links via the API, continue to the sections below to check for other possible causes.
Troubleshooting your DNS settings
The steps for checking your DNS settings vary depending on your domain registrar. For detailed instructions, find your provider on our list and follow the link to their configuration instructions.
You should have two A Records in your custom domain's DNS configuration:
|If you are using a subdomain, set a CNAME as follows:
If you only have one A Record, add a second. If you have additional A Records pointing to other IP addresses, remove all others and leave only the ones pointing to Bitly's IP addresses.
Once you've corrected any errors in your DNS settings:
- Return to your Bitly account
- Go to your custom domain settings and remove your domain
- Re-attach your custom domain
Troubleshooting issues sharing links
An incorrect DNS setup will cause an error with any links that use your custom domain.
Troubleshooting links created via the API
In addition to an incorrect DNS configuration, there are a few possible causes of issues when creating links via the API:
- Your account may have reached its monthly limit
- You may have exceeded our API's rate limits
- Your custom domain may not be available in the group you're using in your API call
To check for this potential issue, first confirm which group you're calling (if a group isn't specified in your request, it's using the default group). Then, check that group's settings in your Bitly account to make sure the domain is configured for it.
Follow the steps in How do I add a custom domain to a group? to check for it and add it, if necessary.