Add Bitly's WordPress plugin to your WordPress site to shorten links to your posts and view click data without leaving WordPress.
Already have the Bitly Wordpress plugin installed? Learn how to create links at How to use Bitly's WordPress plugin.
If you're familiar with adding a plugin to WordPress directly, you can upload the ZIP file attached to this article. Otherwise, follow these steps.
To install the Bitly Wordpress plugin:
- Sign in to your Wordpress account.
- In the left sidebar, hover over Plugins, then select Add New.
- Search for Bitly.
- Click the tile for Bitly's Wordpress Plugin.
- Click Install and Activate.
Now you're ready to log in to the Bitly Wordpress plugin and set it up.
To log in to the Bitly plugin and configure your settings:
- Select Installed Plugins from the left sidebar.
- Find Bitly's Wordpress plugin and click Settings.
- Scroll down to WP Bitly Shortlinks and click Authorize.
- Click Allow on the authorization page. If you're not signed in to Bitly, you'll be prompted to log in first.
- Select which types of entries need short links (posts, pages, and/or attachments). Short links are automatically created for the ones you select.
- If you are connected to more than one account, use the Organization dropdown to select which account to use. If you don't make a selection, your default account is used.
- If your Bitly account has more than one group, select a group. If you don't make a selection, your default API group is used.
- If your Bitly account has more than one custom domain, select a domain. If you don't make a selection, bit.ly is used for the short links created in Wordpress.
- Scroll down to the bottom and click Save Changes.
Now that the plugin is installed and configured, you can shorten links when you create a new post!