Instead of creating links with the bit.ly domain, you can set up your own short domain to brand and personalize your links. To brand your links, you'll need a domain with 32 characters or less, including the dot.
Keep these things in mind as you choose and set up a custom domain:
- The domain for your short links must be different than your website domain.
- It can't be more than 32 characters long, including the dot.
- If you haven't added one yet, Bitly offers a complimentary domain. However, if you add your own domain, you won't be able to redeem this offer later.
To add a custom domain:
- Sign in to your Bitly account.
- Click the profile menu.
- Select Account Settings.
- Click Custom Domains.
- Click Add Custom Domain. If you're purchasing your own custom domain from a provider like GoDaddy, choose a short domain with 32 characters or less, including the dot.
- If you're using a free domain from Bitly. Follow the prompts and skip the next few steps.
- Log in to your domain provider, such as GoDaddy.
- Configure the following in your domain provider's DNS settings.
RECORD TYPE HOSTNAME VALUE A @ 18.104.22.168 A @ 22.214.171.124If you're using a subdomain, set a CNAME record type, too.
RECORD TYPE HOSTNAME VALUE CNAME @ cname.bitly.com
Here's an example setup from GoDaddy's DNS Management.
- Click Next.
- Enter your custom domain.
- Click Next.
- Click Track Domain Status on the confirmation screen.
Once the domain has been verified in the Bitly system, you're ready to create branded links with your own custom domain!