Instead of creating links with the bit.ly domain, you can use your own short domain to brand and personalize your links. To brand your links, you'll need a domain with 32 characters or less, including the dot.
If you're adding your first domain to Bitly, you can use one for free --up to $30. Search for a domain from the prompt when you upgrade or choose one later from your account settings.
To add a custom domain:
- Sign in to your Bitly account.
- Click the profile menu.
- Select Organization Settings.
- Click Custom Domains.
- Click Add Custom Domain. If you're purchasing your own custom domain from a provider like GoDaddy, choose a short domain with 32 characters or less, including the dot.
- If you're using a free domain from Bitly. Follow the prompts and skip the next few steps.
- Log in to your domain provider, such as GoDaddy.
- Configure the following in your domain provider's DNS settings.
RECORD TYPE HOSTNAME VALUE A @ 184.108.40.206 A @ 220.127.116.11If you're using a subdomain, set a CNAME record type, too.
RECORD TYPE HOSTNAME VALUE CNAME @ cname.bitly.com
Here's an example setup from GoDaddy's DNS Management.
- Click Next.
- Enter your custom domain.
- Click Next.
- Click Track Domain Status on the confirmation screen.
Once the domain has been verified in the Bitly system, you're ready to create branded links with your own custom domain!