URLs begin with either HTTP or HTTPS. HTTPS connections help make the browsing experience more secure by preventing eavesdropping or tampering by third parties when you're on the internet.
Bitly uses HTTPS for all links by default, and you can access additional HTTPS and SSL settings for your custom domains in your custom domain settings.
If you have purchased a custom SSL certificate and would like it enabled for your Bitly Enterprise links, please contact your account manager.
How to configure HTTPS and SSL Configuration
- Open the profile menu.
- Check that you're in the right group and organization. These are listed right under your username. Click Change Group if you need to select another.
- Click Organization Settings. Keep in mind to have the correct group selected.
- Click Custom Domains.
- Click the domain.
- Click HTTPS and SSL configuration.
- Click On to enable a setting or Off to disable it.
HSTS allows browsers to "remember" that all Bitly links on a domain should use HTTPS. HSTS is recommended for all domains with HTTPS enabled.
Keep these things in mind as you choose and set up a custom domain:
- The domain for your short links must be different than your website domain.
- It can't be more than 32 characters long, including the dot.
- If you haven't added one yet, Bitly offers a complimentary domain. However, if you add your own domain, you won't be able to redeem this offer later.