What is Twilio?
Twilio is a communications platform which includes SMS text messaging among its communication tools. After connecting Twilio to Bitly, you can broadcast text messages with personalized links to your customers. Each link can direct each customer to unique pages or screens on your site or in your mobile apps.
Why connect Twilio to Bitly?
By connecting Twilio to Bitly, SMS messages to your customers include unique links personalized for each customer. Airlines connect passengers to updated flight information in their mobile apps. Clothing retailers send branded, targeted sales promotions to preferred clients. Healthcare companies send login verification links for secure communications.
And after sending a link in an SMS campaign, you can go to Bitly to see exactly how many people are clicking links and how they are engaging with your campaign.
Who can set this up?
Anyone experienced with APIs who has in-depth programming knowledge, such as a software developer or engineer.
How do I connect Twilio to Bitly?
Here’s where things get technical. To set up the integration:
- Acquire your credentials for the Bitly API. Generate your access token by signing in to Bitly and selecting Main menu (in the upper right) > your username > Generate Access Token.
- Purchase a “From” phone number from Twilio. This is required for sending messages.
- Acquire your SID and Auth Token for the Twilio API by logging into your Console and clicking the dots to reveal the Auth Token below the SID.
- Code the token and credentials into your integration by following the documentation for the Bitly API and Twilio API.
Now you’re all set to create messages with Bitly short links.
- Shorten your links with the createBitlink operation or createFullBitlink.
- Creating the FullBitlink with the secondary endpoint is less performant, but includes additional details such as deeplink details and tags.
- Use Bitly campaigns to pull links by channels when sending the links.
- Generate your Twilio messages by creating a Message resource that includes the shortened links.
Twilio supports grouping phone numbers into collections of lists for repeat sending, so you can send links in bulk. Twilio has a great guide for bulk messaging.