Here’s how to shorten a link in Bitly:
- Log in to Bitly.
- Click Create new in the top-left corner and select Link.
You can also press “b” on your keyboard as a shortcut.
- Enter the link you’d like to shorten in the Destination field and, optionally, add or change the title. A descriptive title can make your link easier to find later on, and Bitly will automatically pull the title from a web page when available.
If you just need a basic short link to share, you can press Enter/Return on your keyboard to create your link now.
To take advantage of our advanced link-shortening features (like customizing your short URL, using UTMs, creating a QR Code, and more), continue to the next steps.
- Choose whether you want to add UTM parameters to your long link. If you do, toggle the UTM parameters switch and enter your UTMs in the relevant fields. Bitly will append the parameters to the long link before shortening it.
- If you have a paid subscription with a custom domain, select a domain or use bit.ly.
- Enter a custom back-half if you'd like to make your link more unique.
- Toggle the QR Code option to create a QR Code for this link. With some paid plans, you can also modify the QR Code.
- Toggle the Link-in-bio option to add this link to your Bitly Link-in-bio. After you create the link, head over to your Link-in-bio page to publish it.
- Select Create in the bottom-right corner. Your link will be created and copied to your clipboard, ready for you to share!
Want to know what else you can do with your links? Visit Managing Your Links to learn more.