We updated Bitly's navigation menu in September, 2022!
If you're used to the old look, check out the changes.
Shorten many links at once by using Bitly's CSV bulk shortening. To do this, you'll prepare a CSV file and upload it into Bitly. Your file will be processed and your short links will then be emailed to you in another CSV file.
To shorten links in bulk:
- Log in to Bitly
- Click Create new. Select Link.
- Click bulk upload
- Click the template link to download the template for your CSV file. Use this file as a template for all your uploads.
- Note the column names in the file. These are the labels that Bitly uses to find the fields for the URL that you will be shortening and, optionally, the custom back-half that you would like to use.
Be sure to keep the original column names. They are what Bitly uses to match up and process your links.
- Either paste your list of links into the template file or edit your existing file so that it has two columns with the same names as the template.
- If you won't be using back-halves, delete the "Backhalf..." placeholder in those fields, not the column header. If no back-halves are provided, a random set of characters will be generated.
- Save the file locally as a CSV file.
- Go back to Bitly and click SELECT FILE, go to the file location, and choose the CSV file you've created.
- Select the domain to use for your short links.
- Click SUBMIT CSV
- Check your email inbox for an update on your upload. Depending on the size of your file, it could take from minutes to hours to process your links.
- Click the link in the email to view your new links in Bitly.
- If you receive an email that indicates there is a problem with the file, correct any errors and follow the steps above to try again. To help you resolve issues, see: How do I troubleshoot bulk upload errors?
Your account administrators can also check the status and download the results from your account settings. See: How do I check the status of a bulk shortening CSV file?