Bitly API users who are using old versions of the API (prior to V4) will start experiencing intermittent service disruptions on August 17, 2020. These outdated connections to all non-shorten endpoints will stop working altogether on September 14, 2020.
Regularly scheduled service interruptions, or “brownouts,” are a standard practice to help users uncover any stray connections they may not be aware of. They are also a way to communicate these changes to users who may not have seen our previous communications.
API Service Interruption Schedule
Service disruptions to the outdated endpoints will occur for 10-minute time frames from :55 - :05 on the hour for 2-3 hours per day (for example, from 10:55 AM EST - 11:05 AM EST).
Disruptions will increase in frequency every week until the connections no longer function.
- August 17: Short interruptions - 10 minutes per hour, 2 hours per day
- August 24: Moderate interruptions - 10 minutes per hour, 5 hours per day
- August 31: Longer interruption - 10 minutes per hour, 10 hours per day
- Sept 8: Longer interruption - 10 minutes per hour, 15 hours per day
- Sept 14: Complete disconnection for outdated API connections