Creating short links with your own brand requires three things:
- Owning a short custom domain of 15 characters or less, including the dot.
- Adding the domain to Bitly.
- Configuring the DNS settings with your domain registrar to point to Bitly.
If you don't already own a short custom domain name, you can purchase one in Bitly's Custom Domain settings.
To get a custom domain:
- Sign in to your Bitly account.
- Click the Group selector at the top right of the page.
- Click Manage next to the account you'd like to add a domain to.
- Click Custom Domains.
- Click Add Custom Domain.
- Once you click on the "Add Custom Domain" button, you will see a pop-up appear with the option to "Add Domain" or "Purchase Domain", please click on "Purchase Domain"
- Once you click on "Purchase Domain", the next screen will allow you to search for domain name(s).
- If the domain you are searching for is available to purchase, you will see a "green" marker next to the domain, and then the option to "buy now". However, if the domain name you are searching is not available, you will see a "red" marker next to the domain name.
Choose a custom domain with 15 characters or less, including the dot.
- If you are happy with your domain name, and it is available to buy now, simply click on the "Buy Now" button and you will be redirected to GoDaddy to complete the purchase.
- Once you have completed the purchase, you will need to access your DNS settings in GoDaddy and configure the following:
- Once you've set up the correct A records, click on "Next". Then add your newly purchased Custom Domain in the box and then click "Next" again.
- Once you've clicked "Next" -- Success! You've added the Custom Domain.
Please note that it can take up to 24 hours for domain changes to propagate.
- Please click on "Track Domain Status" to find out if your Custom Domain has been verified.
Lastly, once the verification is complete, you will now be able create links in your account with your custom domain.